Unix Engineer: Position Summary
Under general supervision, implements, and maintains complex computer systems in a client/server environment. This position is the senior level technical expert in Linux/UNIX systems implementation and management within Information Technology. The individual in this position is responsible for ensuring that all computer systems are current, reliable, tuned and accessible in accordance with service level agreements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the installation/configuration and the day-to-day administration of Linux/UNIX operating systems (e.g. Solaris and Red Hat Linux based environments) and related services (e.g. SSH, DNS, NFS, LDAP)
- Evaluates, recommends and implements hardware and software for SiriusXM’s corporate technology infrastructure.
- Analyzes and resolves problems associated with server hardware and applications software.
- Actively seeks, diagnoses, and reports system related problems on servers.
- As required, perform production support including checking daily logs, backup/recovery procedures, disaster recovery and periodic maintenance.
- Develops and maintains shell scripts (e.g. Korn, C shell, PERL, Python, Ruby, etc. ) to automate systems and application processes and enhance systems functionality.
- Familiarity with automation and configuration management suites like Red Hat Satellite Server/Spacewalk, Puppet, cfengine, or Chef.
- Create and manage policy, procedure, system and license documentation.
- Provides regular management reports and recommendations regarding capacity planning for systems within the position's scope of responsibility
- Contributes to the development and implementation of security solutions supporting PCI & normal corporate security concerns as well as being a participant in disaster recovery activities.
- Provides recommendations where existing policies and procedures require change or where new guidelines need to be developed.
- Performs periodic on-call and other duties related to those enumerated above which do not alter the basic level of responsibility of the position and which supports our 24x7x365 operations
- There are no formal supervisory responsibilities associated with this job; however, occasional project management and coordination activities are required given the successful candidate is expected to define and drive standards and projects as needed.
- 10 or more years of hands-on UNIX system administration and/or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree (Preferably in Computer Science or Engineering)
Requirements and General Skills:
- 8 or more years of production and data center oriented experience on systems and storage implementation and management is required for this position (e.g. installation, configuration, performance tuning, optimization, administration of complex client/server computer systems). Applicant must be innovative, service and self-motivated, team-oriented, adaptable and capable of managing competing priorities and on-call activities. Must possess a positive attitude as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills and demonstrate commitment to quality and continuous improvement.
- Experience in designing, implementing and managing highly available and scalable systems that provide maximum uptime and throughput at the most efficient solutions possible.
- Ability to build a server OS in an automated fashion leveraging Kickstart/Jumpstart
- Solid understanding of relational databases and server requirements to provide a stable, reliable infrastructure in support of RDBMS environments.
- Ability to gather metrics and monitor systems at all levels including low level system calls to user space applications to insure that Service Level Agreements (SLA) are being met.
- Expert level knowledge in the implementation and a management of complex storage environments, including storage area networks (SANs). Such experience would include disk and RAID group configurations, volume management as well as backup/recovery strategies.
- Red Hat 4, 5, and 6
- DNS, NFS, LDAP
- Red Hat Cluster Services, Red Hat HA,
- Veritas NetBackup
- Perl, Python, Ruby and/or Shell scripting
Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply please email resume to: Careers@TobiasSystems.com